Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Convenience

I can totally see why we go for convenience when it comes to food preparation. I had to make rolls and a salad for Relief Society activity. Normally, I would have ran into the store and bought a package of rolls and bought a bunch of fresh veggies to go in my spaghetti salad. The whole deal would probably have taken about 30 minutes, start to finish. In keeping with the no shopping rule I decided I better start from scratch. I started the rolls at 10:30 a.m. I took them out of the oven at 2:15. It is amazing how much time you need when you have to knead the dough and let it rise 2 different times! I was able to make my salad during that time, but it was a little difficult finding stuff to put in it. I always use yummy fresh veggies and this time I had to scour the shelves for something that would work. I ended up with 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 can of mushrooms, a can of olives, and a zucchini from the garden. It was OK, but nothing like it usually is.

It took 4 hours for the rolls and now I need to make sandwich bread and laundry soap too. I am so glad I know how to do these things, but I am so grateful for the grocery store and the modern conveniences that allow me to buy a loaf of bread when things get a little crazy and I have no time.

No comments: